This recipe came from one that Grandma had hand written on a recipe card. Over the years, I’ve made some tweaks to it. I added broccoli and shredded cheese. I also marinade and cook the chicken separately or use leftover chicken in this casserole. Sometimes I also top it with crushed potato chips, adding those directly onto each serving so they don’t get soggy.
- 1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded Colby jack cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
Marinade for Chicken
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together rice, soup and water in 13″ x 9″ casserole dish. Put into the oven to bake, setting the timer for 40 minutes.
- Prepare the chicken by cutting into 1″ pieces.
- Mix marinade ingredients and put chicken into marinade (use resealable bag or sealed bowl). Refrigerate until step 6.
- When timer sounds, remove casserole from oven. Stir in broccoli and 1 ½ cups of the shredded cheese. Put back into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken from refrigerator. Heat medium skillet over medium-high heat. Put chicken into the skillet and sprinkle with seasoned salt. Discard remaining marinade.
- Cook chicken, stirring frequently, until no longer pink.
- Remove casserole from oven; stir chicken into casserole. Top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Return to oven and bake an additional 25 minutes, bringing total bake time to 75 minutes.