Fajitas can be made in the oven, which makes them super easy to prepare. Be sure to preheat your pan to give them that sizzle and allow them to cook on the top and bottom.
- 1 pound thinly sliced flank steak or “fajita” steak
- 3 sweet peppers, 1 red, 1 orange, 1 yellow, seeded and sliced into 1/4″ strips
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into strips
- Flour tortillas, soft taco or fajita size
For the Marinade:
- 1/4 cup olive oil*
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Thinly slice the steak into fajita strips. Slice peppers and onions into strips.
- Preheat oven to broil setting, 550°F. Place cast iron skillet or baking sheet in oven to preheat.
- Prepare the marinade by mixing all ingredients together in a small dish.
- Spoon half of the marinade over the steak strips and mix to coat.
- Put peppers and onions in a large bowl and spoon remaining half of marinade over; toss well to coat. Carefully remove baking pan and scatter peppers and onions over. Return to oven and cook for 5 minutes, or until beginning to soften and brown.
- After peppers and onions are partially cooked, quickly remove baking pan from oven and use tongs to push peppers to the sides of the pan. Place steak in a single layer, being careful not to overcrowd. Return to oven and cook 3-4 minutes or until uniformly brown on top and medium rare.
- Remove pan from oven and serve in tortillas with shredded cheese, sour cream and salsa.
*Note: You’ll be tempted to add more olive oil, but leave the marinade fairly dry so your fajitas aren’t greasy.